This year, we thought we’d do a “Maker Challenge” at THATCamp CHNM. Here’s how it will work:
- You (or a group) will make something (a plugin, an app, a document, a website, a Twitterbot, an ebook, an Omeka.net archive, a Zotero bibliography, a Wikipedia page, even a project plan or PowerPoint presentation or what you will).
- You (or your group) will post a link to and description of your project in a blog post on this site and categorize it under “Maker Challenge” (the category exists already).
- You (or your group) will show what you’ve done in
3 minutes or less5 minutes or more on Saturday 6/8 at 3:30pm. If you have already left, Amanda will present it for you.
- Anyone with a THATCamp account can vote for your project by logging in at thatcamp.org, then navigating to the blog post for your project and clicking “Favorite.” Voting will last until about 4:30pm on Saturday, June 8th. At that time, the winners will be determined, announced, and awarded their prizes. Prizes can be mailed if you are not present.
First prize — an iPad Mini
Second prize — a Samsung Chromebook
Third prize — a Kindle Fire
1) Only people who have registered for (and checked in at) THATCamp CHNM 2013 are eligible to collect prizes. GMU and CHNM faculty, staff, and students are eligible, as are non-U.S. citizens, minors, and, indeed, everyone at THATCamp CHNM (hooray!).
2) “Projects” will be defined with exceeding looseness, but the project should be new — it should not have existed before THATCamp.
3) Pairs and groups are more than welcome to work on projects together, and advice and help from anyone is perfectly fine, but each prize can only be given to one person. Teams should appoint a “captain” to receive the prize, and teams should make their own arrangements for how to share the booty and for that matter the glory.
4) In the event of any ballyhoo, wonkitude, tie, or donnybrook, Amanda French will adjudicate with the Solomonic wisdom for which she is known.